Saturday, April 29, 2017

I'm Listening...

   I’ve talked a lot about how sometimes it feels like when we talk to God that it is a one way conversation. There’s a scene in the Avengers where Thor tells Loki to listen well that reminds me of this. Thor is about to reprimand Loki and he says “listen well brother.” Then Thor is hit by Iron Man. Loki says “I’m listening.”
Image result for loki and thor I'm listening Gif
   Sometimes I feel like that is how it is with God. A while back I wrote a blog called A One Way Conversation. I talked about how it is nice to know that God is listening, but sometimes I wish he would talk back. A lot of times he does talk back indirectly. But, sometimes I get a feeling that he does talk to me directly. I get a feeling in my heart that I should do something.
   That’s when God says: “listen well, my child.” And then it is like “I’m listening.” But then you only get that feeling or hear a voice telling you to do something to help others. Sometimes I feel like I want another sign. I question whether or not this is actually God telling me to do something, or if it is just a fleeting idea. But, normally, you know if God is telling you to do something.
   This is when sin comes in. Wait, you are saying if I do not do something I know I am supposed to do it is still sin? I thought that sin is doing something wrong/disobeying God. It is, but there are sins of omission and sins of commission. Sins of commission are sins that we know are wrong that we directly do. Sins of omission are things we know we should do but we choose not to do.
   See, like Loki, we may say we are listening but when God tells us to do something we choose to ignore him. A wise preacher once said that he noticed that as we grow in our relationship with God our sins become less of commission and instead sins of omission. We may not directly sin against God. But, when he tells us to do something we choose not to do it. We are to be God’s light to the world.
   So many times we see bad things happening we wonder “why isn’t God doing anything about this?” Well, he is probably telling you, or someone else, to do something but you choose not to. It is time for Christians to stand up and say “I’m going to do something (Check out the song Do Something by Matthew West here).” Rather than stepping back and saying “it’s not my problem.” That is not what God calls us to do. We must follow the Great Commission and show others the love of Christ.
   So, do you ever not listen to God? What can you do to start listening to him more? Are you going to do what he tells you to do and follow the Great Commission?
   James 4:17, John 10:27-28, Matthew 28:16-20

No comments:

Post a Comment