Saturday, April 2, 2016

Missing the Mark

   I like the game of darts. Granted, I’ve never played a full game of darts but I like goofing around with them. Typically when I play I just take the three darts and see how many points I can get. Normally, I start off by playing it safe and throwing the dart lightly; but, I miss the target. So, I throw it harder next time and it is too hard. The third dart I usually am able to get in the general vicinity of the middle.
   Our Christian walk can be like this at times. We either don’t commit, commit too much and hinder others from coming to Christ, or we are right on target. Not committing is bad because we lose what is most important to us: Jesus. Without him we are nothing. Committing too much can be good because you grow in your relationship with Jesus; but some people focus on the religion and not the relationship. Religion says that we need to do ________ in order to be love and blessed by God. And that is what these people who commit too much are telling others. They say in order to be a Christian you need to do ________. We cannot strap ourselves to the gospel because it's not about us. It is about God. Relationship suggests that it is a two way street. But the greatest thing about our relationship is that God reached down to us first. All we need to do is accept that we are a sinner; and ask Jesus into our hearts. 
   There are many different rounds in darts; and each time I get a different score. This is also just like our Christian walk. We can get close to our target one day; but farther away the next. What we need to do is focus on the target: Jesus. If we focus on him, trust in him, and do his will our relationship with him will be a lot better. And, we will be able to lead others to him.
   So, are you hindering others from coming to Christ? Are you just not trying to grow closer to him? Or are you right on target?
   James 1:26-27, Colossians 2:8, John 14:6

No comments:

Post a Comment