Saturday, April 30, 2016

Where Is Home?

   This year at missions conference (an event at Lancaster Bible College that occurs every year where the focus is on missions) one event was called “Home Sweet Where?” Before I even went to the event I began to think about home. What exactly is a home, or home? For twenty one years now when people have asked me where I was going I was able to say I’m going home. Now that has come into question. What, or where, is home really?
   There’s an old saying that goes: “Home is where the heart is.” When I was thinking about the word “home” this saying automatically came to mind. But, then I began thinking about the heart part of the saying. Where is my heart really? Yes, I know it is in the middle of my chest; but I mean where is my attention, devotion, love, etc. really at? It also got me thinking about where I belong.
   There is a song called “Where I Belong” by Building 429. The first time I heard it, it got me thinking about where I really belong. I thought about it so much that my mom and I thought about creating a Vacation Bible School around the idea of where we belong. So many times in my life I have felt like I don’t fit in. I felt like I don’t belong here. I began to wonder why I feel like I don’t belong. Then one day it hit me.
   Home should be a place where you feel comfortable. At least, that’s what my classmates say if you ask them. They say they want to create a classroom that is homey. It seems like a good idea but not everyone has the same home or idea of home. I do agree that home should be a place where one feels comfortable.
   With the ideas of home being where the heart is, figuring out where I belong, and home being somewhere where I feel comfortable I formulated an idea of where home is. If home is where the heart is and I know my heart belongs to Jesus then home is with Jesus. I don’t feel like I belong here; and that’s because I don’t. I belong with Jesus. And, if home is where I feel most comfortable, then I know that I feel most comfortable in my alone time with Jesus.
If you didn’t know where I was going before, you probably do now. Home is heaven. That is where our hearts are. That is where we belong. That is where we will finally feel comfortable and totally safe.
   So, is your heart with Jesus? Are you doing his will here on earth? Do you know where you belong?
   John 14:12, Matthew 6:19-21, 1 Peter 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment