Saturday, February 21, 2015

Back In My Day...

               We all have them. People who love us, always make sure we are warm, ask us how our days are, bring us presents, and they are there for us no matter what (usually). Who am I talking about? Grandparents! They are these awesome people who tell us stories about when they were young. Then, when we were younger at least, we used to listen intently to their wisdom and neat stories. Except for one specific story I’m pretty sure many of you have heard: "When I was younger I used to walk uphill both ways two miles or more through the snow."
                Honestly I cannot count how many times I heard that story and each time my siblings and I would look at one another and start repeating the story word for word. It used to be annoying and funny at the same time. But, if you think about it, there is a good lesson in this story.
                This winter has been one of the coldest I can remember. During this winter I have heard more complaints than I can even count about the cold. I’m not blaming anyone because I have complained a little too. Though, do we have a right to complain? 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says: “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” What happens when we complain about events or about the weather (which we have no control over by the way)? Does anything change about the circumstances we are in? No, not usually. And what does complaining do for us anyhow? Does it get us what we want? Does it help us spread the good news of the gospel?
                When we complain, we are doubting God. He has a plan for us and everything that goes on in the world. We may not like our circumstances or the cold now but these things are happening for a reason. We may know what we want, but God knows what we need. He will take care of us. We just need to trust him.

                So the next time you think about how cold you are remember what your grandparents used to do every day. They walked uphill both ways without complaining. You know, until they complain to us about having to walk uphill when we complain about how hard our life is. Also remember that God has a plan for you. You may not like the circumstances now, but just remember to have hope… and that spring is just around the corner. Don’t let the cold get you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment