Saturday, July 18, 2015

"Getting to Know You"

   I once had a friend of mine ask me this question: “why are your writings so uplifting but you aren’t?”  I was really insulted at first. But, then I realized she kind of did have a point. On the outside, and in person, I don’t seem like a happy person. In fact, I rarely smile and there’s a reason for that. But, in order to know that reason, people need to get to know me. So my question for that friend would have been: do you know me?
   At that time my friendship with that girl was brand new. I was also trying to be more optimistic at that point in my life, because I realized that I should be joyful no matter what (but that’s a blog for another time). So her saying that was a major blow to my motivation. Anyhow, I got over it, and I started thinking about how people don’t know the real me. My writing is literally me writing down my thoughts, feelings, and ideas. When I write a part of me goes into whatever I’m writing. So, when you read my writings you are getting to know the real me, and my thoughts.
   The problem with this is that I am always changing. There’s a quote I’ve heard that goes something like this “every time you meet someone, whether you know them already or not, you are meeting a new person; because people have gotten new experiences, feelings, and ideas since the last time you met” (that's not the exact quote but I know that someone said something like that at some point in time :D So I may have different feelings or ideas about something that I wrote a year ago. People are always changing.
   There is good news though: God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. We can look at the Bible and know that that is the same God we get today.
   My challenge for you this week is for you to actually get to know people. Ask them questions, and have them ask you questions (however, if they are not open to it, don’t press). Who knows, you may just learn something you didn’t know. Or, better yet, have a long lasting relationship with someone. Also I want you to look at the Bible and dig deeper in it to find out more about God. He wants to have a relationship with you. 
   1 Corinthians 2:11, Proverbs 8:17

No comments:

Post a Comment