Saturday, February 4, 2017

Does Everything Really Happen for a Reason?

   For a long time now I have said time and time again that everything happens for a reason. Well the other day I was looking at my home page on Facebook and I saw a blog that said “Dear Christians, Stop Saying Everything Happens for a Reason (link).” I looked at the blog and it was talking about how a loved one had cancer and this woman just could not figure out why God would let that happen. Then she said that somethings are not God’s will. 
   I still stand behind my belief that everything happens for a reason and I will tell you why. The basis of my whole theory is based off of the word of God. James 1:13 talks about how no one is to say “I am being tempted by God” because God does not tempt anyone. However, God does test us. James 1:2-4 discusses the fact that we should count it a joy when we meet trials because the testing of our faith produces steadfastness. To say that everything doesn't happen for a reason is to say that God doesn't have control over what happens.
   All of this is to say that yes, sometimes the devil tempts us but God knows about that. For example, let’s think about Job. He had it made: food, animals, land, family, riches, and the list goes on and on. That’s why Satan asked God if he could take away Job’s reason for praising God. And, you know the rest. Job never cursed God. He stayed faithful to him. Satan has to have God’s permission to do anything (1 Corinthians 1:13 [key word: let]). Don’t you think God knows what he is doing?
   Let’s go to the testing then. There are countless people who were tested in the Bible. But, let’s talk about my favorite: Joseph. Joseph had trial after trial. He would excel at everything he did; but then he would be cut down by someone else. Joseph could have given up. He didn’t have to keep doing his best for God’s glory but he did. Joseph passed the test.
   Even looking back at my life I can see God at work. But, there are trials I have faced where I have no idea what God was doing and that’s okay. If I did know what he was doing all the time then I would be God, and I wouldn’t need to worship him. It is through the trials and temptations of life that we grow. We become stronger in God if we pass tests and avoid temptations.
   So, do you believe everything happens for a reason? Do you believe that you will never be given more than you can take? Will you pass tests that God sends your way so that you will grow in Him?
   Proverbs 3:5-6, Hebrews 2:18, 1 Corinthians 1:13

No comments:

Post a Comment