Saturday, June 24, 2017

Growing into Who You Are Meant to Be

   If you have not noticed by now I have certain themes I enjoy writing about. A few of them are children, change, identity, and growth. The reason why I enjoy writing about these is because they have made a major impact in my life. As well as the fact that I feel like it is important for people to continue to grow in these areas.
   While at Lancaster Bible College, I took a philosophy class. In that class we discussed identity. The professor refuted ideas that identity is found in the body, mind, and brain because those things are always changing. Thus, if those represent your identity then your identity is always changing. He then said your core identity is found in your soul. I agree that our identity is found in our soul. It is the belief at our core that says we are children of God.
   Our identity is consistent throughout our lives. But, we change and grow as we are called to do (Colossians 1:9-10). There is an Alice in Wonderland quote that says: “I knew who I was this morning but I’ve changed a few times since then.” Most of the time when we hear the word “change” it makes us nervous.  Because it means that our consistency is gone and that we need to get out of our comfort zone. And yet, we are called to change and grow.
   The Alice quote embodies this idea perfectly. I know I have gone through many ups and downs in my life. But, those challenges and experiences have shaped me into who I am today. You may have known me when I was in high school but I have grown and changed since then. You may have even seen me yesterday but I have even changed since then. Every day we gain new experiences that teach us things, if we allow them to. We should always try to grow and change for the better.
   So, are you trying to grow/change for the better? Do you realize that people you knew years ago may have changed for the better?
   John 1:12, Philippians 4:6-7, Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment