Saturday, July 15, 2017

Sharing Our Stories

   I love stories. I like to listen to just about any kind of story. Ever since I was a kid I realized that stories help me discover things about the world and people. I especially enjoy hearing other people’s stories. It doesn’t matter if the story is something funny or if it is their testimony. Those stories help me see who those people are and how they got there. On top of that it tells me how people have grown.
   Testimonies are an amazing thing. They are also very special and important. I was once told by someone that I don’t need to tell my story. And, they are right. It is my choice whether or not I tell my story. But, I felt like that person was only saying that because she/he did not want to be real. This person did not want others to see his/her underbelly, his/her downfalls, or his/her shortcomings. This person was afraid of showing others how she/he became who she/he was.
   In general I have found that people are afraid of showing who they are/telling their stories. They do not want others to see how bad they used to be. But, the stories that I have found the greatest hope in are the stories where people reach an ultimate low just to be lifted up in redemption through Christ. Those are the stories that tend to penetrate peoples’ hearts. Those stories help others see that no one is too far gone to be redeemed through Christ.
   On top of that, Christians need to realize that our stories are not ours. They are partially ours. But, our stories are actually God’s story through us. Thus in a way, our stories are not our own to tell. That is why we should not be afraid to show others the real us. In a world full of people who wear masks and have walls up Christians are called to be different. We are called to be real and show the love of Christ. One way we can do that is to share our stories in order to relate better to others and show Christ’s love in our lives.
   So, are you willing to share your story of God’s work through you? If you are not, what can you do in order to start sharing your story?
   2 Corinthians 12:9, Matthew 5:16, 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment