Saturday, October 28, 2017

Being Gentle to Others: The Fruit of the Spirit Series

   “Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is gentle as real strength” (Ralph Sockman).
   I have been called many things but gentle is not one of them. I am a goalie. I am supposed to be tough and I do not smile much. Yet, I am a teacher. I am a living contradiction. How can I be gentle? The answer is by taking off my mask and putting myself in someone else’s shoes.
   Some of you know how soccer has changed my life. In my last season at LBC (fall 2016) I chose to be myself with the girls. See, before that I had put up some masks at different times but that year I did not. During the season I was kind, crazy, and sympathetic towards the girls. And, I actually wanted to be there at soccer because the girls liked the real me. But, one event puzzled me that happened during the season. I was called a teddy bear by one of the girls.
   Now, if you know me, you know I’m not a cuddly person. That’s why when she told me this I was confused. But then I realized this girl wasn’t saying I was cuddly. She was saying that I loved the girls and cared for them. I always try to love others and put myself in their shoes. In order to be gentle one must be “free from harshness, sternness, or violence.” In other words, gentleness is showing sensitivity to others no matter the situation.
   It is not always easy to be gentle. Sometimes circumstances lead us to lose control, or to not have patience. But, it is important to be gentle because when one is gentle they are able to reach others more. When we put ourselves in others’ shoes we are better able to show them the love of God. Then we can help encourage them, or even lead them to Christ.
   So, are you willing to take off your mask in order to be gentle to others? Will you put yourself in others’ shoes in order to be sensitive to their needs? Will you try to be gentle toward others?
   Titus 3:2, 1 Peter 3:15, Philippians 4:5, Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment