Saturday, April 21, 2018

Clinging to the Source of Life

   I'm going to be honest: I stink at gardening. But, because I'm a teacher, I get a lot of flowers from my students. I try to keep them but eventually they die.
   One time I received 3 flowers from my students because it was the end of the year. And, if you guessed they all started to die you’d be correct. I took the flowers out of the pot and threw them into our front yard. I walked by those flowers every day and looked at them. They were a reminder that I'm a failure at gardening. Then one day I noticed something strange.
   Two of the flowers were dead and gone. However, one of the flower's roots had gotten through the bottom of the soil and the roots started to go into the ground. The flower actually started to perk up. That flower survived because it clung to the ground. It clung to the source of life. That flower survived a few more months because it was able to get sun, water, and nutrients from the ground because it was tough through a difficult time.
   These flowers are a great example of us. Some of us go through life clinging to nothing. Some people think that they don't need anyone. They just want to get as far ahead as they can and they don't care who they need to break to get there. In the end those people die even though they worked hard in life.
   Others of us find Christ but don't cling to him. These people may go to church on Sunday but the rest of the week they don't walk with Christ. They may work hard at their job but they also don't cling to the source of life when things get tough.  In the end these people die as well.
   Finally, there are those people who find Christ and cling to him even through the hard times. They walk with Christ even if things are hard. These people never die. They may die physically, but their soul and spirit never die.
   I don't know about you, but I'd much rather be the flower who clings to the life source rather than be those who die forever.
   So, which flower will you choose to be? Will you choose to cling to the source of life? What can you do to keep clinging to the source of life? 
   Psalm 63:7-8, Colossians 1:9-10, Matthew 5:6
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment