Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Compliment a Day


   Okay, if you know me or if you have read my blogs you probably know that I like teaching and working with kids. What you may not know is that I also like animals, specifically dogs. I have a dog named Yoyo. He is a Pomeranian-sheltie. He is spoiled rotten, even if he is bad, but most dog owners would probably guess that.
   Yoyo is super cute. Because of that fact, he hears he is cute every day. It may not even be from his family. We could be out on a walk and random people will say "your dog is so cute!"
   I'm not complaining about this at all. I love my dog, and he is cute. What I am wondering is why we like complimenting dogs and animals so much more than humans? I mean, I could go a whole day, even a whole week, without receiving a compliment. Yet, animals get compliments all the time. I love animals, but sometimes I feel we put them ahead of people.
   Why do we do that? I think it may have something to do with the fact that we work with people every day and we can actually communicate with them. But I also think it may have something to do with the way we were brought up/our differences. Some of us don't need positive reinforcement in words to feel good. Those people may not give compliments as much. But, I am sure that, even if your love language is not words of affirmation, you still don't mind getting a compliment.
   Why should we give compliments? One reason is because it shows others that we care and we love them. Another reason is that it is scientifically proven that, if you receive a compliment and give a compliment, you will be happier. Plus, in the Bible we are called to build each other up.
How can we give others compliments when it is hard or we are not good at it? Start off small: choose a specific time each day to give someone a compliment. If you forget easily, set an alarm on your phone. At that time either give someone a compliment in person, in a note, call them, or text them. Then you can keep adding to that until it comes naturally.
   What shouldn’t we do when giving compliments? Please don't make it an empty compliment like: "Oh you are so nice. Your shirt looks good." Add some substance so that person knows you truly care. You could say something like: "I really like how you sacrifice your time by making coffee for everyone every day. It brightens the workplace. I also like your cross necklace. It helps me remember to think about Jesus." This kind of compliment tells someone to keep up the good work and encourages them to work harder.
   So, do you need to give others more positive feedback? How can you get better at giving compliments? Who can you give a compliment to today?
   1 Thessalonians 5:11, Hebrews 10:24-25, Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment