Saturday, September 29, 2018

Be Prepared: The Armor of God Series

"To be prepared is half the victory" (Miguel de Cervantes).
   Those of you who know me know that I am a soccer player. I have played soccer for many years and used many cleats in that time. One time I was playing indoor soccer and I was warming up before the game. Suddenly one of the spikes on my cleat fell off. 
   If you ever played soccer you understand how much of a predicament this was. But, since I had been taught to push through whatever is going on, I played in the game. If you saw me during that game you might have thought I was drunk because when I ran I tipped to one side. I was not ready for the game.
   Roman soldiers wore comfortable shoes. If you've ever worn uncomfortable shoes you know how important it was for these soldiers to go into battle ready and comfortable.
   For the Christian, putting on the boots of readiness means that we are ready and willing to do whatever God calls us to do. Our equipment may be different depending on what we are called to do, but we still need to be ready.
   Does this mean that if God calls us to go preach the Gospel to cannibals in another country we won't be scared? No, it just means that if God calls us to do something then he has given us the proper equipment to do that job. We may be scared to do that job, but we will still do what he calls us to do because we trust in him. 
   The boots of readiness teach us that we need to be prepared to do what we are called to do. In order to be as prepared as possible we need to do what any solider does before battle-study and train. We must study the Bible so we know our enemy and how to combat him. We must train our minds and body to know what to do in whatever we are called to do (that may be different for each person).
   So, will you put on the boots of readiness and be prepared to do what God calls you to do? Will you study and train to be ready when God does call you? Will you trust in God's plan?
   1 Peter 3:15, Isaiah 41:10, Ephesians 6:10-18

No comments:

Post a Comment