Saturday, March 18, 2023

Better Than What You Are


   I am a soccer player. I've played every position on the field. When I was a junior in high school I decided to try to become a better goalkeeper. In order to do that, I sat on the couch all day watching TV.... just checking to make sure you are still with me.
   When I became a keeper I had to work hard to get my body in shape, learn how to dive, how to catch the ball, when to come out to get the ball, and so much more. If I didn't work at it I wouldn't have been starting goalie at LBC for 4 years, I wouldn't have broken LBC's shutout record, and I wouldn't have become a better person and coach.
   What would've happened if I didn't work hard at being a goalie? I wouldn't have made an impact on LBC's soccer team, I wouldn't have become a keeper, and I wouldn't have become a better person.
   In the movie Kung Fu Panda 3 Master Shifu has a conversation with his apprentice, Po. Shifu: "If you only do what you can do, you'll never be better than what you are." Po: "But I like who I am!" Shifu: "You don't even know who you are."
   "If you only do what you can do, you'll never be better than what you are." If we stay stagnant, if we don't try to improve, then we will never get better. If you don't try to learn how to cook, you'll burn your food. If you don't try to learn how to drive, the you'll crash your car. If you don't try to grow in God, then God will not be able to use you for his glory.
   1 Corinthians 10:31 says: "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." God gives us many gifts. He wants to be able to use us in his story. He wants us to be able to grow in him. Why does he want that?
   Po said he likes who he is. Shifu replied "you don't even know who you are." Who are you? You are a child of God (John.1.12). If you have accepted Christ as your savior then you are a child of God. Jesus walks with you and wants to help you grow in him. Now that you know that/have been reminded of that will you try to grow in him? Will you work hard for his glory? How can you work hard for him today?
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment