Saturday, October 27, 2018

Covering Your Armor in Prayer: The Armor of God Series

   “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing” (Martin Luther).
   Once upon a time when I was young I used to only go to God in prayer when I needed help. If I was being bullied, I would pray for the bullying to stop. If I wanted a dog, I would pray for a dog. If I was tired at soccer, I would pray for strength. But, during the good times, I didn't pray. I never really thanked God for all he had given me. I fell into the trap of treating God like a Genie.
   Prayer is one part of the armor that we don't talk about much. I think it is because the Roman soldiers did not have a metaphor connection to prayer. Paul puts prayer at the end like this: "praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints" (Eph.6.18). 
   Prayer is like a protective coating of the armor. If the armor is not taken care of then it will not be able to do its job. We must pray to God. I'm not talking about praying to him like he is a Genie. I am saying we talk to him throughout the day. We thank him for our blessings, whether they are good or bad. We tell him about our day like a friend. We question him like a father.
   Prayer is our link. It is like the chain that keeps the armor together. It keeps us connected with God. That's why prayer is so important. We could pray just to talk to God. Or we can pray for something as major as healing from cancer. It just takes some faith and a little bit of time for us to talk with our maker. 
   So, will you stop treating God like a Genie? Will you choose to pray to God at all times and in all things?
   Philippians 4:6, Romans 8:26, Ephesians 6:10-18
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment