Saturday, June 27, 2020

Why Do We Freak Ourselves Out?


Image result for I'm not freaking out   I am an over thinker. I have finally admitted that to myself after many years of trying to deny it. Oh, it's not always bad, sometimes I come up with great blogs or stories by over thinking. But, many times it gets me in trouble.
One day I was at work and I saw a parent of one of my students go in to talk with my boss. I automatically thought through things I may have done wrong. Then I realized I was making myself anxious, which is not good to do when you are teaching children (they tend to pick up on how you are feeling).
   That's when I chose then to ignore what I just saw. I would run myself ragged thinking about what they could be talking about when it wasn't my business in the first place. The only way it would become my business is if the parent or my boss told me. In the end my boss told me that the parent was happy with the progress his/her child made in class. It turned out to be a good thing; but it could have been very bad if I would have made myself sick by worrying about it.
   Many times we worry over things we don't need to. What will I eat? Where will I live? What job should I take? What school should I go to? We are very good at making ourselves anxious over things that God says we don't need to worry about. Matthew 6:25 says: "Therefore I tell you do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?"
   When I was in that situation I was worried about the status of my job. God knows my needs and will provide for them. If I would've lost my job, God would provide for my needs. He cares for everything he created. He cares for each person. He cares for me. He knows my needs and wants. He provides me with what I need so that his plan for my life will come about. I just need to surrender to his will.
   Surrendering is difficult for many of us. We want to have control over our lives. If we try to control our lives then that means we are trying to take care of ourselves. In the end our strength will fail because we cannot go through this life without leaning on God. I don't know about you but I'd rather let God handle my problems and enjoy today because I don't know if I'll get a tomorrow.
   So, do you worry too much? Will you surrender to God's will for your life? What can you do to trust God more? 
   Philippians 4:6-7, 1 Peter 5:7, Matthew 6:25-34
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment