Saturday, June 19, 2021

You Don't Know What You Have Until You Lose It


   My sister had the experience that many of us have in our lifetimes: she got her wisdom teeth out. Over the course of the next week she lived on the supply of applesauce and pudding my mother got her. We would eat burgers and other solid food while she ate soft things. After about a week she was able to eat solid food, somewhat.
   During that week she would stare at what we were eating and her mouth would water. I finally said to her, "it kind of makes you appreciate what you have right?" She, of course, glared at me and we moved on. But it make you think: what do I have that I take for granted?
   Imagine if you had no teeth. Imagine if you only had a few pairs of clothes, or only one. Imagine if you didn't have a bible or the ability to read the word of God. We are blessed with so much. Sometimes I think we forget everything we have because it's always there.
   During the last week of the school year I like to give my students a challenge each day. Here is your challenge, should you choose to accept it: pick one day, you can do more if you want, and think about or write everything you have to be thankful for. You have blessings all around you if you just look. If you write down your blessings keep that list handy. In the future, when you have a bad day, get your list out and think of all the reasons you are still blessed. Then thank God for those blessings.
   James 1:17 and 2 Corinthians 9:8
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment