Sunday, December 25, 2022

A Christmas Challenge

   Children. What a blessing they are. Many of you know I am a teacher. I believe that statement that they are a blessing. But I also believe they can be a handful. Much if that is due to the fact that they have much to learn.

   Years ago I came up with an idea to help students remember/learn how to show the true meaning of Christmas. Why did I feel that it was important for students to learn this? Well, every year we do an Advent calendar to practice counting. And every year it becomes a tool for my students to use to count down when they get presents.

   Thus, instead of just counting down I came up with a challenge for each day of the count down to help students remember to show love, show care, and give to others rather than just ask for what they want.

  See, I've found something interesting. When we are young, we focus on the getting, unless we are shown otherwise. As we get older, that changes. I remember the first year I gave presents to my family. That year, I was excited about what I was going to get. But I was more excited about what I was going to give.

   Each year I love finding the perfect gift for someone. You know, that one that you know you'll see a smile on their face as they realize what you've gotten them.

   Well, God has given us all the perfect gift: salvation and eternity with him through his Son. That's the reason we celebrate Christmas. It's not for a countdown. It's not for the food. It's not the music. It's not the decorations. It's not even about family and friends. It's about getting the greatest gift. And remembering that, because of that gift, we are to use the gifts he has given us to show others his love.

   So, what's Christmas about to you? How can you spread the gift God has given you?

   John 3:16 and 1 Corinthians 12:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment