Sunday, January 1, 2023

Confidence 2022 into 2023

   Some of you know each year I challenge myself to focus on one area of my spiritual walk. This past year I picked an area that had me nervous to choose: confidence. 
   There's a reason why I was nervous to choose confidence. As a goalkeeper I was taught to have confidence in goal. If I panicked, everyone on the field would too. My coach used to tell me "fake it till you make it." But that's the opposite of what I was taught. I was taught to be authentic with others. This was a conundrum for me. But, over time, I realized something.
   I should not be confident in myself. I should be confident in God and who he made me to be. This sounds easy enough but it is hard because it means giving up control. It means not being insecure, anxious, and untrusting of God. Having God confidence encompasses many things. 
   I was also nervous because usually when I pick my spiritual challenge God delivers. What I mean by that is God helps me work on that area. This past year I got COVID, went to the ER, had a medical journey, had 3 family members have health problems and go to the ER, had many changes at work, and had anxiety because of a lot of this. I had to learn not to lean on myself. I had to learn to step up when God asks me to. I had to do uncomfortable things for me because I was being confident in God.
   It was quite a journey. I learned to listen to verses like Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge." I had to take refuge in God during trials, hurts, sleepless nights, etc. Yes, I talked with others about those problems which helped. But the thing I learned the most is God can use you when you trust in him and have God confidence.
   So do you have confidence in God? What do you feel you need to improve in in your spiritual walk? 
   Lyric video: Confidence by Sanctus Real

No comments:

Post a Comment