Saturday, October 28, 2023

Do You Want to Be in the Race?

 I do not like running. Yes, I am a soccer player and coach but in soccer I am running for a purpose. Running just to run does not appeal to me. 

Thus, when I read 1 Corinthians 9:24, which says “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.” I struggle because there are times where I want to be in the race but other times I don’t. Running a race is hard work. It would be so much easier to be like the hare in the tortoise and the hare and just stop. But, I know this is the race of life so running is kind of required. 

Here’s the thing though, when you look at long distance runners you don’t see them running all the time. They stretch, weight train, drink water, watch what they eat, and rest. They are not running all the time. They know if they did that, they would not win the race. 

1 Corinthians 9:26 says, “Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.” Paul is talking about how runners do everything they do for a reason. They don’t just decide one day that they are going to run a marathon. If they did that, good things would not happen. No, they train their body and mind for it.

In this race of life, we choose what prize we will run for. Will we run for a temporary prize and chase the things of this earth, or will we run for a heavenly prize? If we choose a heavenly prize, things don’t get easier on earth. In fact, we need to prepare ourselves for puddles, cheating runners, insults from fans, to maybe get lost, injuries, etc. The way we prepare ourselves for this race is by knowing the one who created it. We get into the word, so we know what to do when hard times come. We pray. We reflect His glory in all we do. 

So, are you in the race? How can you prepare yourself for when struggles come in the race?




No comments:

Post a Comment