Friday, September 12, 2014

I Am a Saint

                Have you ever heard someone say the phrase “he’s a saint?” Did you ever stop to think about what that meant? Bridges sheds some light on that subject in his book Respectable Sins. According to Bridges a Saint is: “someone whom Christ bought with His own blood on the cross and has separated unto Himself to be His own possession” (13).
                This is not what a person usually thinks about when they hear the word Saint. In fact many people think about an older man who is spiritual. Typically most people will think about Catholics.
                One big topic in the Catholic Church right now is Pope Francis’ opinion on homosexuality. People were surprised to hear the pope say about gay people “who am I to judge?” 
                This is a newer view for the church but I believe the pope has a point. It is true that a saint is someone who is bought with Christ’s blood; but Christ died for all those who would accept him, no matter what point they are at in life. We are all sinners so why do we think we have the right to judge others?
                As a teacher I will have to deal with topics like these every day. I will have students who are from different families and cultures. I must accept them for who they are, love them like God does, and let my light shine in the hope that they will see I am different. I am a Saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment