Saturday, October 24, 2015

I Want to Heap Burning Coals on Their Heads!

   Have you ever had that person who just always got on your nerves? That person who hurt you in some way? That person who doesn’t seem to have a kind bone in their body? Did you ever want to get back at that person, but you didn’t because you knew that was wrong? Instead you turned the other cheek and continued to love that person because that is what God calls you to do.
   Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’ve all that that person. Because I grew up in the church my whole life, I had heard so many different Bible verses and stories where people forgave the person who wronged them. I never quite understood that when I was younger. Anyhow, one day I heard this verse from Romans 12:20 “On the contrary: ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.’"
   Now, most of you are probably thinking the way I did back then. “If I am nice to this person then it will make them feel so guilty that they will respect me; and leave me alone. God will also get revenge on them and heap burning coals on their head.” Yeah, that’s what I used to think. I know right, Kaitlyn Scheuing used to wish that people would get hurt who hurt her?! Well, I’m trying to be honest; and prove a point. I had that whole verse out of context.
   Looking back at the historical context of this passage one would realize that when the verse says “heap burning coals on their head” it is actually a blessing. See, back then, people needed coals to keep them warm. So heaping burning coals on your enemies head is a good thing.
   You may be thinking “what!? Why would I want to be nice to this person who hurt me if it is only going to give them blessings?” Well, think about it this way. You do not know what that person is going through or has gone through in their life. Aren’t there times that you have been grumpy and have done some things you regret to others? How would you feel if that person was mean to you then and wanted to heap burning coals on your head (for real, not like in the good way I just described)? You probably wouldn’t feel too good.
   Now, what if that person you hurt was actually nice to you? Would you want to get to know them? Would you want to ask them why they are so nice to you when you were mean to them? This is how we can spread the gospel: by being different from the world. People are going to want to know what you have in you that is so different. They are going to want to know Christ.
   Challenge for this week: be kind to others, even if they hurt you. When reading the Bible make sure that you do not take the verse out of context.
   Romans 12:20, John 13:34, 1 John 4:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment