Sunday, October 25, 2015

Special Edition: What God Taught Me During a Soccer Game

   So my loyal followers know that I typically post blogs on Saturdays. But, something happened yesterday that I just had to do a post about. I had a soccer game. The soccer game was fairly interesting because we went into overtime, but something happened that was even more interesting, to me at least.
   Did you ever have something happen to you that you weren’t expecting to happen? Something that could’ve ended really badly? That’s what happened to me yesterday.
   I was in goal, like I normally am, and I went out to do a standard breakaway save. But, I got more than I bargained for. I made the save and the next thing I know I’m on the ground with my eyes closed because the right size of my face hurt so badly. Then I heard the voices of my teammates over me saying you’ll be okay. I knew that I just needed a minute because the wind got knocked out of me and my face hurt. But then, I heard a new voice. He started asking me questions about me and the team in order to make sure I didn’t have a concussion. I didn’t have a headache, ringing in my ears, or blurriness in my vision. So I got up after more questions and I was asked if I wanted to stay in. My answer was yes. I wasn’t going to let me team down.
   During the game in the huddles with my team everyone kept telling me how bad my eye looked. After the game, when I finally looked at it, I was like “oh yeah that is bad.” I was told over and over again that I’m lucky I didn’t get a concussion; and I’m lucky I didn’t get my eye split open. I don’t call that luck I call that the work of God.
   There have been many times in my life where I have wondered why something happened to me. But, in this instance I can see God at work. I could’ve been knocked out, gotten a concussion, needed stitches, or worse; but God was there for me. Over and over again in my posts I’ve talked about praising God in the good and bad times. Sure I’m upset I need to live with a black eye for a while; but being upset will not change anything. And, I know that this happened for a reason. Who knows? Maybe me getting a black eye pushed my team to keep going. Or, maybe someone seeing how hard I worked in goal after I got hit wondered why I kept playing. That just may lead them to Christ.
   What about you? Has something ever happened to you that you weren’t expecting? Did you pity yourself and get angry at God, or were you thankful that something worse didn’t happen? Did you ever stop to think that maybe whatever occurred happened for reasons you just could not understand?
   I know that there are people out there who could never understand why I did what I did yesterday. But those people are the ones we need to witness to, whether that is with our words or our actions. Are you witnessing to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment