Saturday, November 7, 2015

"I'm Batman"

   My siblings have this tendency to say random things when people ask them questions if they do not know the answer, or they do not want to answer. My brother likes to say “I’m Batman.” The one day when he said that it got me thinking about identity. What is identity?
   According to Merriam-Webster dictionary identity is “who someone is: the name of a person.” I do not know about you but I don’t really feel like that’s a great definition. Identity is something we all struggle with. So when people ask me “who are you?” Obviously my first answer is Kaitlyn. But then it makes me think even deeper. I used to define myself by what I did. I was the soccer player, the oldest kid at church, the shy girl, and so on and so forth. But those things change. So does it make sense that our identities are always changing?
   There’s a quote in Batman that says “it’s not who you are underneath: it’s what you do that defines you.” This proves that, according to the world, our identity is always changing. I’m not always going to be a worker at Jimmy John’s or a soccer player. So then what stays consistent in our identity?
People have also said that you create your own identity. But, so many times it feels like the world creates our identity. If you are popular then you do things in order to keep being popular. Other people decide what is popular. So then you don’t define your own identity. Other people define who you are.
   SO then, what is our identity? The answer is actually quite simple. John 1:12 says “but to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” We are all children of God. He created every single one of us. That is what we need to rest in. No matter what the world tells us that we are. We will always be children of God. If we know that then no other identity the world gives us matters.
   So, will you rest in the identity God gave you or the identity the world gives you?
   Genesis 1:27, 2 Corinthians 5:17, 1 Peter 2:9.

No comments:

Post a Comment