Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Monster Inside

   One of my favorite bands is Skillet. They are a Christian rock group. They sing hard core songs that some people I know aren’t used to; but, normally, when I show those people the lyrics they say they enjoy them.
   One day my family and I were riding to my sister’s soccer game and the song “Monster” came on by Skillet. My sister started rocking out to that song; and, from then on, my dad started to play that song every time we went to one of my sister’s soccer games in order to get her pumped up. It has become one of my favorite songs.
   The song talks about feeling like a monster. How there is a part of you that you keep hidden because you don’t want anyone to know about it. But, eventually, that part of you comes out because you can no longer hide it. The monster is that part of us we don’t like. It is that one sin that we want to get rid of or hide but we cannot. We all have it; but not everyone knows what it is.
   This song really speaks to me personally. Not many people know this about me, because I’m not proud of it, but one of my nicknames is the Hulk. The reason was because when I got angry I used to yell and take my anger out on my family by yelling at them. I knew in my heart that it was wrong to yell at them; but I just couldn’t keep the monster inside. I know that I hurt my family because of the words I said in anger and I am truly sorry for that. But, I don’t regret saying those things because it happened for a reason. If I wouldn’t have realized that what I said in anger was wrong then I may still have that issue today.
   It is true that every once in a while that green monster inside me starts to rear its head. But, now I find more constructive ways to get the anger out; like writing about how I feel or spending time alone. Today I still use the nickname Hulk because it reminds me of what I used to be; and that I don’t want to go back to that.
   We are all sinners; and we all have at least one sin that keeps following us, or is difficult to get rid of. That is the monster inside us. We can try to keep it inside; but eventually it will come out. No matter how hard we try to keep it in. That is why we need to get the antidote for our monster. And, there is only one cure for our sin: faith in Jesus Christ. It is only through his help that we are washed clean of our sins. It is only through him that we can get rid of that one persistent sin. It is in him that we can be free from the monster.
   What is the monster in your life? Have you asked God to help you get rid of it?
   Romans 3:23, James 4:7, 2 Corinthians 5:17
   P.S. Here is the link to the music video of Monster by Skillet: 
   Here is the link to the lyrics of Monster by Skillet: 

No comments:

Post a Comment