Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Days of Being a Princess and a Knight

   Think back to when you were little. You always wanted to play outside. You imagined that you were a princess or fighting off a dragon. You wanted to know more about the world around you so you asked so many questions. You believed that you could accomplish almost anything. And, you had faith in your family and friends.
   Now look at yourself today. You go through the daily schedule of going to school or work. Then come home to do more work, play with your children, watch television, or just relax. And finally you go to bed then start the same routine the next day. There is not much creativity or excitement in your life.
   So, which would you rather have? Would you rather be a child who has an exciting life and believes in people and dreams; or, would you rather go through the motions every day?
   See, the problem nowadays is that people think that it is wrong to be like a child. I disagree with this idea. Now, I’m not saying that we need to keep the parts where we cannot take care of ourselves, where we whine about everything, act immature, or where we throw so many temper tantrums. What I am saying is that there are certain aspects we need to keep in order to live a joyful life. I mean, think about it.
   When you were a child you were excited whenever you learned something new. Now if you have to learn are you excited about it or do you scoff? I remember when I first went into college. It sounds bad but there were certain classes I was not looking forward to, mostly because I was not remotely interested in what we were learning about. Then, after some soul searching, I realized something. I am privileged to learn about anything; because, God created everything. I should want to get to know more about my creator and His creation.
   Another aspect of childhood we should keep is childlike faith. Children have faith in people because they have to. Now I’m not saying you trust everyone in the world with all of your money, secrets, or life. What I am saying is that we need to love others and give them the benefit of the doubt. As Christians, we are called to love and forgive everyone. That means believing in people and giving them second chances.
   Now I want you to do something that children do a lot: imagine. Imagine if we all looked at our world like children. Would the world be a better place or not? Would we learn more about the world and God? Would people be kinder?  
   So are you going to look at the world like a child, or are you going to keep going through the motions?
   Matthew 18:2-6


No comments:

Post a Comment