Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Difference Between Pretty and Beautiful: The Makeup Experiment

   So, some of you may or may not know that I did an experiment on the 13th and 15th of December 2015. I did an experiment dealing with makeup. For those of you who don't know, I am a tomboy. I do not wear makeup. I wear athletic clothes and would rather play sports than go shopping. For this experiment I dressed up, put makeup on, and did my hair just to see what would happen. This experiment led to me asking some questions that I will pose to you here; and the results were somewhat surprising.
   Why do we wear makeup? Some may say because it makes us look professional, it makes us feel confident, makes us look healthier, and so on.
   Well, during this experiment I got many reactions. Some people (who I have known for 21 years) did not recognize me, some people just stared at me, some people said I was a movie star, people who I knew but did not talk to much made a point to talk to me, and one person even asked me for my autograph. I’m not going to lie; it did feel pretty good to be noticed by people. But it also made me question do these people not like the way I look normally? Which led to me to wonder: do some people just wear makeup to please others? Honestly when I wore that stuff I did feel more confident and accepted. But, I also felt like I was conforming to the world; and that I was wearing a mask.
   I want to be clear that I am not saying makeup is a bad thing; but I want to know why we wear it. And I do think it boils down to masks, insecurities, and imperfections. We hide who we really are and who God made us behind masks. Now, I know some people who wear makeup for work or because it makes them feel confident. But, why does it make them feel confident? Is it because people notice them more? Is it because it makes them feel more beautiful? I don’t know.
   What I do know is that God made us who we are. We need to be thankful for the attributes that he gave us because those attributes are what make us unique. There is no one in the world with the same experiences, looks, thoughts, and emotions that you have. It is amazing to think about.
   Another thing this experiment taught me was the difference between pretty and beautiful. You can look pretty and not be beautiful. Dictionary.com defines pretty as: “pleasing or attractive to the eye.” The Bible says this about beauty, according to 1 Peter 3:3-4, “Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” Beauty, true beauty, is not what is on the outside but is what is on the inside. God looks at the heart not outward appearance. He loves us no matter how we look, what we do, or what we own. It is true he does not like when we sin, or disobey him. But, his love for us is never ending.
   Finally, to wrap up this experiment, I want to reiterate that I am not bashing makeup or people who wear it. I’m just trying to make a point and questioning why we wear makeup. In fact, because of this experiment, I may wear makeup more. Not because I’m insecure, I’m trying to hide my imperfections, or because I do not want to be unique; but, because of this experiment, I was reminded about a quote a wise friend of mine said: “Food can be the most delicious thing in the world. But, if it doesn’t look appetizing on the plate do you think people are going to want to eat it?” Or, something like that :D
   The point is that this experiment has shown me that when I look “nice” I’m more confident. But, it’s not only an outward confidence; I’m God-confident because I know he made me and loves me no matter how I look (in other words I will not be dressing up all the time). And, because I’m more confident, I’m able to make an impact on the world by glorifying God with how I look; while at the same time being modest, and staying true to who I am. Because, I’m not trying to be pretty I want to be beautiful on the inside and out.
   So are you being true to who God made you to be, or are you hiding behind a mask? Are you trying to be pretty or beautiful? Do you have self-confidence or God confidence?
   Psalm 149:14, 2 Corinthians 4:16, Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment