Saturday, August 27, 2016

Coincidence? I Think Not

   Did you ever have a time where you felt God was calling you to do something but you just were not sure it was him, or you didn’t want to do it? That’s how my soccer career at Lancaster Bible College got started. Part of me wanted to play soccer; but I didn’t want to deal with all of the drama that comes with it typically, hurt my body more, and I really needed a job. There was a lot of back and forth going through my mind on whether or not I should play.
   One day I decided that I just could not think about it anymore. That’s when I did something I know I technically shouldn’t have done: I pulled a Gideon, or made a deal with God. I said “God, if I hear from the coach within the week I’ll know I am supposed to play soccer.” Then I let it go. I told my mom the deal later that night at around 7 pm. I did not check my phone until the next morning. I had a text from the coach which arrived at 6:55 pm the night before.
   Needless to say I was a little freaked out. But, I wasn’t convinced. Then I pulled another Gideon. I said to God: “God, if I hear something from anyone about LBC women’s soccer, within the week, then I will know I am supposed to play soccer.” I went about my life after that and about two days later a girl named Brooke came up to me. I had only known her from a few of my classes; but she asked me if my last name was Scheuing. I said “yes.” Then she said “my coach has been trying to contact you, does he have the right phone number?” I hung my head and semi chuckled. Then I looked to the sky and I said “yeah, I need to talk to him.”
   And, the rest is history. I have played soccer for 3 years now and it has changed my life. Sure, there were a lot of bumps and bruises on the way, literally. But, in the end it was all worth it. I learned so many lessons but the biggest one from this story was that when God tells you to do something you should do it. He may not even speak to you specifically. He works through coincidences. And, it took quite a few coincidences for me to decide to play soccer.
   So, is God calling you to do something you may not want to do? Are you going to listen to him? Do you believe that he has a plan for your life?
   Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 8:28, Psalm 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment