Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Pool of Reflection

   Once there was a pool. Many people came to the pool to see themselves in it. But, this was no ordinary pool. This pool didn’t just show you what you look like right now; but it also showed people who they really are, and their legacy.
   There are few who are brave enough to look for more than one minute because the images are sometimes scary. You once went to the pool when you were younger. You saw dark images of you lying, cheating, stealing, and some other things you would not have been proud of. You vowed never to come back to this place; but a friend wanted to come see his legacy. So, you agreed to come with him; but you said you would not look in.
   Your friend begins to walk up to the pool. You sit down on a bench and look around. There are a few people looking into the pool. Others are just loitering about. It looks like a few had just looked in the pool.
   One person was a young woman. She looked like a business woman who would have been professional except for the fact that she was crying. She must have looked in the pool and seen something she did not like. There was no one there to console her. You felt a bit of a tug to go over and ask if you could help her; but you don’t want to seem nosey.
   Another person was an older man. He was smiling and looked very proud. He walked up to other people who didn’t seem to know him. They began talking and it seemed like the man was boasting. Figures some people saw much better things than you ever did.
   The last person you look at is a middle aged man. He glances up from the pool and sees you looking at him. You quickly look away; but the man stands and comes over. He says “may I sit here,” and points to the bench beside you. You nod not knowing what else to say or do. After a little the man says “did you look in the pool today.” You shake your head and say “no.” The man asks “why not?” You say “I’ve already looked in it before.” “May I ask what you saw?” You don’t see why it is any of his business so you shake your head no. The man nods and says “may I tell you what I saw?” You think that is a little strange; but you don’t see how it could hurt so you nod.
   The man begins his story “like you, I have come here before. When I first came I did not like what I saw. It was a dark image. I was a very powerful CEO in the future. I had it all fame, fortune, a penthouse, two children, a trophy wife, and so much more.” You begin to become intrigued “sounds like you had it all together." The man shook his head. “I thought I had it all together; but I was wrong. I also saw in the same image that my wife cheated on me, my children hated me, I had no friends, and no one came to my funeral. Everything I had didn’t really mean anything.”
   You were starting to get confused, “so why did you come back here to look into the pool again?” The man smiled. “I changed. I needed to find what I was missing and I found it; actually I found him, Jesus. I realized that the things in this life meant nothing unless I had him; because everything here is temporary.” You nod, “I know that too. I recently accepted Christ last year.” “Have you changed anything in your life because of accepting him?” You begin to think some things have changed; but you are still far from perfect.
   The man smiles “I got you thinking.” You nod then ask, “so why did you come back?” “I wanted to see if my legacy had changed.” “Did it?” The man nods. “What did you see?” The man stands and begins to walk away “why don’t you look for yourself?” You start to panic “how will I know what you saw by looking at my reflection?” The man kept walking.
   You sit for a while and then decide it is worth the risk. You walk up to the water and look in. At first you just see your reflection but then the pool changes. The image you see is bright. You see some things you have done in the past, like before you are not proud of them. Then the image stops at you looking in the water, which is present time. Then the image is blank. You wonder if something went wrong; but suddenly you see an image of Jesus. Then you remember hearing a sermon about you being a child of God. You realize that you don’t need to know what happens to you in the future because you know your identity. And, you have someone you can trust in.
   So if you were to look in the pool today what would you see in your past? Who would you see in your future?
   John 1:12, Proverbs 3:5, Proverbs 19:21

No comments:

Post a Comment