Saturday, March 11, 2017

You Could be a Hero

   “No one sits with him, he doesn’t fit in, But we feel like we do when we make fun of him, Cause you want to belong, do you go along? Cause his pain is the price paid for you to belong, It’s not like you hate him or want him to die, But maybe he goes home and thinks suicide.” These are lyrics to Superchick’s song Hero (Link).
   Since 1999 the suicide rate has increased in the United States. And we wonder why this is? Well, if one thinks about it, it isn’t that difficult to see why. We live in a very individualistic culture. It has become every man for himself. But, is that how it should be?
   Let’s go to the authority on everything: the Word of God. Philippians 2:4 says “let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” John 13:34-35 says “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” There are many more verses I could point out in order to prove that God wants us to help each other, but I will not go into that right now.
   Instead I am going to leave off with a quick story. Once when I was very young, like in high school, I went to a camp with my family. There was a new family there with a boy my age. He kept asking to hang out with me. But I did not want to be his girlfriend, which was kind of what he was insinuating. I asked my brother to stay with me at all times. My brother and this guy actually ended up being pretty good friends. At the end of the week this guy asked to get a picture with me using his phone. I had my brother get in the picture with me. I could have handled the situation much better because I avoided this guy rather than hearing him out. Later I found out from a friend that he tried to commit suicide around Christmas.
   I could have done something. I could have followed Philippians 2:4 and John 13:34-35. I could have looked out for this guy and been a friend to him, but I didn’t and I wasn’t. I believe that that situation happened for a reason. I could have done things differently, but then I would not have learned a valuable lesson. I would not have learned that every day choices I make impact others whether I know it or not. I would not have learned that I can be a “hero” to others.
   So, do you love others no matter who they are? Are you following God’s word? Are you thinking about the choices you make every day? Are you a hero?
   1 John 4:19-21, Philippians 2:4, John 13:34

No comments:

Post a Comment