Saturday, April 1, 2017

Why I'm NOT a Feminist

   When I was younger I used to watch the show Boy Meets World. As I grew up, I always remembered the episode called “Class Pre-Union.” That is when all the students dress up and present where they are going to be in 20 years from then. Topanga comes in in a toga and says she is going to be President. The reason she is wearing the toga is because they got rid of all other clothes so that no one feels insecure (or something like that). She also said that all men were put underground and only used for breeding purposes. Now anytime I get upset at my brother I say “I agree with Topanga.” And, my brother knows exactly what I am talking about. Some people may call me a Feminist because I say this, and other things as jokes, against the male population.
   However, I don’t consider myself a feminist. Merriam-Webster defines Feminism as “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.” I’m all for equal opportunity; but I feel feminism has gone way too far. Feminists are starting to want inequality. What? I thought women wanted equality with men. No, actually Feminists want women to be higher than men. Women want to be President, join the army, want to be the head of the household, and call men cavemen when they say things like "you should not be wearing that" because they do not want to be tempted.
   So, let me say why this is wrong not by my opinion but by the facts. Where am I getting these facts? From the highest authority: the Bible. Genesis 3:16 talks about the curse Eve received for disobeying God’s command. Eve will want to rule over her husband but she will not be able to. 1 Peter 3:1-7 talks about how wives should accept the authority of their husbands. Then husbands should give honor to their wives. Finally, Ephesians 5:21-33 says that wives and husbands are to “submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” It goes on to say that for women this means they are to submit to their husbands. And, husbands are to love their wives.
   All of these passages point to one overlying idea: men and women are different. Men are more equipped for certain jobs. It does not mean women cannot do those jobs but men are better equipped for them. Just the same as women are more equipped for certain jobs than men are. But, above all, the Bible makes it clear that wives are to submit to their husbands. Men are just better at ruling over things than women are. That doesn’t mean that men should be pig heads and say “I know what I’m doing. You are a woman and I don’t have to listen to you.” Because, in those same passages, it says men are to respect women. This means, men should take women’s thoughts into account and love them.
   Finally, if women are not to rule over things what are they to do? Women are to be helpers for men (Genesis 2:18), to be energetic and strong (Proverbs 31:17), laugh without fear of the future (Proverbs 31:25), give instruction with kindness (Proverbs 31:26), encourage young women to be good workers (Titus 2:3-5), watch everything in the household (Proverbs 31:27), temperate and faithful (1 Timothy 3:11), and fear the Lord (Proverbs 31:30). Women are powerful in their own way. They are better suited for certain jobs than men are. Women and men are to be equals in marriage because having one without the other does not make the world better (1 Corinthians 11:11-12). That’s why God gave women certain abilities and men certain abilities and why he created both male and female. And, that’s why both men and women are to submit to God.
   So, how do you feel about the Feminist movement? Are you trying to do jobs that just are better suited for someone else? Are you doing jobs that are suited for you?
   Genesis 3, 1 Peter 3:1-7, Proverbs 31:10-31
   P.S. Here is a link to a video that talks a bit more about Feminism and how the movement isn’t really for equality between men and women. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNErQFmOwq0

No comments:

Post a Comment