Saturday, May 20, 2017

A Simple Reminder

   Just recently I had a meeting with a good friend. I had been at her house for a while and I got to see her kids. Her kids are younger and are still amazed at what the world has to offer. I was reminded what it was like to be a child. These kids were using their imaginations to be princesses, moms, and even the Virgin Mary. They had wonder, excitement, and a love for life. It got me thinking about when I was a kid. When I was able to be whatever I wanted to be. When I could create whatever I wanted to.
   Then I went to leave and something else happened that impacted me. I was walking out the door when one of the girls called to me. She gave me a wooden cross that she got at a Vacation Bible School. On the cross were the words to John 3:16. I thanked the girl then I got in my car.
   I looked at the cross. It was just simple wooden cross but the words on it spoke to me. Many Christians know the verse John 3:16 and have it memorized. It is a verse that brings many to the faith. It is an important verse. But, sometimes I feel like we forget the meaning behind it. See, we can say the words of a verse but forget the meaning behind it.
   Looking at that cross it reminded me that for a child that is all that matters. Their faith is so innocent but they cling to it. That is why Jesus said to enter the kingdom of heaven one must become like a child (Matthew 18:3). The cross given to me may not have seemed like a huge gift, but sometimes the smallest gesture can make a big impact. Whenever I look at this cross it will remind me to have the faith of a child. And, to see the world through the eyes of a child.
   So, do you remember to have the faith of a child? Do you remember what it was like when you first became a Christian? Do you truly believe in the words of John 3:16?
   John 3:16, Matthew 18:3, Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment