Saturday, March 31, 2018

Used


   Way back there was a movie that came out called Tron. In the movie humans were called "users" and those who were a part of the Tron game were called "programs." Oddly enough I didn't always relate to the users (humans). Many times I felt I related with the programs. The programs did not like users because they felt betrayed by them and they were also kind of brainwashed to not like them.
   I go throughout my day trying to help others as much as I can. Because of that, I feel like I get used a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with doing all I do for people because I believe God calls me to do it. But, when you go through your day writing lesson plans, making items for your class so your kids can improve, writing unit plans, making gifts, coaching soccer, doing much more, and then repeating that the next day you feel burned out. 
   To make matters worse... typically we don't get thanked for what we do. I'm not saying that we should do the things we do so we get thanked or so we feel better than others. What I'm saying is that it is scientifically proven that if you hear the simple words: "thank you" you are more likely to continue to do what you are doing.
   There are days where I wonder if everything I do is worth it, especially since it all can be overwhelming. Then I think about Jesus. He did many things for others and there were times he never got thanked. He also, kept going even if it may have seemed overwhelming to us. Jesus probably had more right than most to be overwhelmed. He could have given up... but he didn't. He knew that if he did not keep fighting then we would all die. He did everything he did because of his unconditional love for us. 
   So, when you ask yourself "is this all worth it?" Who will you turn to? Will you keep fighting the good fight even when it seems like no one is thankful for what you are doing?
   Romans 5:8, Philippians 2:3-4, John 13:34
   Check out this video to see how saying thank you and focusing on positive things can make you happier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lZBjWDR_c 
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment