Sunday, May 13, 2018

Naomi and Ruth: Being a Surrogate Mother

   This year I began my career as a teacher. I decided at the beginning of the year to get a class pet. We have a Beta Fish in named Charger in my classroom. At the beginning of the year, I was able to feed him every day. But, then I went to being part-time (I was subbing at the beginning of the year so I was full-time). I had to find someone who would be willing to feed my fish the other two days.
   I asked the teacher next door if she would be willing to take care of him on the days I was not there. She was hesitant but then said, "yes." She has done a great job taking care of him. I joked with her the other day and said "How is Charger's surrogate mother." She laughed and we went back to our jobs.
   Here's the interesting thing: after that conversation I got to think about how important mothers are. I'm not just talking about actual mothers. I am talking about people who come alongside us and care for us like mothers. They are people who are so important in our lives whether we realize it or not. 
   The story of Ruth gives us an example of a surrogate mother and daughter. Naomi had a husband and two sons. They moved to Moab, because of famine. While there, her sons got married. Then her husband and sons suddenly died. Naomi decided to go back to Israel. Ruth went with her.
   At first, Naomi may not look like the best surrogate mother but she is just trying to look to Ruth's best interest. She tells Ruth to go back home so Ruth can get married again. Ruth decides to stay with Naomi. Through the rest of the book we see a transformation in Naomi. She guides Ruth every step of the way.
   It is important for us to realize that even if we don't have children we are still an example to children. They are watching and listening. They then exhibit qualities and actions they see. Are you actions and words good ones? Would you want your own children to show those qualities?
   Here's the other thing Ruth and Naomi teach us: we don't have to be an actual mother to someone to be a mother to them. Ruth basically became an adopted daughter to Naomi. I'm not saying you have to call a younger person you are close to an adopted son/daughter but you can still treat them like one. You can come alongside them, guide them, and just love them like Naomi did to Ruth.
   So, are your actions and words ones you want the next generation to exhibit? Will you choose to guide the next generation?
   Ruth, Philippians 2:4, Hebrews 10:24-25
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment