Saturday, January 23, 2021

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up

   Some of you may know that I was a soccer goalie. Throughout my goalie career I received many injuries, as I'm sure you can imagine. I have had minor injuries, like brush burns. And, I've had major injuries, like black eyes and boarder line concussions. No matter what injury I received they all had one thing in common: after each injury I received, I got up. As a goalie, it is vital that I got up after each play. If I did not get up then my teammates may have thought I had given up, I would not have made the second save if I needed to, and my team may have thought I was hurt.
   One time when I was playing an indoor game I went out to make a standard breakaway save. I got the ball and then I went to get up quickly like normal, but I couldn't. I started to panic. My body felt fine except for a few brush burns. Then I realized someone or something was touching my head. Turns out my friend, who played defense, was running back and was afraid she was going to kick my head. Instead of kicking my head she used her hand to hold my head down. I don't know how she got her hand down mid sprint but she did, and I've never been more freaked out in my whole goalkeeper career. You have to understand that when I want to get up I get up. I'm not used to something or someone holding me down.
   Maybe you have felt this way about a different situation. You may have been going through a tough time and you just felt like you couldn't get up out of the situation. You may have even felt like the devil was the one holding you down. It reminds me of the commercial where the older person has fallen and she can't get up. Like I'm talking this situation is so bad that it feels like it is the devil pushing you down and you cannot get up. Believe me I have been in that situation as well and it is 10 times worse than just your head being held down. I am talking major panic attacks, worrisome thoughts, and it seems like there is no hope.
   What can you do when it feels like you've fallen and you can't get up because the devil has pushed you down? Let's take a look at the ultimate example again. Jesus was pushed around by the devil. He was out in the wilderness, fasting for 40 days. Could you imagine not eating for 40 days? Let alone, being alone for 40 days? Satan knew this would be the time that Jesus was the weakest. He went to Jesus and tempted Jesus 3 times. He, in essence, tried to hold Jesus down 3 times. Each time Jesus  rebuked the devil. Jesus knew that Satan was wrong because Jesus knew scripture. Jesus kept his eyes fixed on God. In the end Jesus said to Satan: “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve’” (Mat.4.10). Jesus used the ultimate take down: he used scripture. He flipped the script on the devil. He flipped the devil over and K.Oed him.
   Jesus gives us this power too, but we cannot do it on our own. Many people would like to think they can do it on their own. They think all of the sudden they are going to get hulk powers and rip the devil apart. Is that what Jesus did? Is that what God did? Ha, no the most powerful beings did not just flip the devil over. They could, Jesus could have that day, but instead he was an example for us. He used God's word to prove that we need him. Jesus comes and tag teams with us. We just need to be willing to call on him, tag him, and let him K.O. the devil. With his help, we cannot be held down.
   So, the next time you are held down what will you do? Do you believe that with Jesus' help you cannot be held down? What can you do to make sure that you grow in your walk with your wrestling partner, Jesus?
   Matthew 4:1-25 and Proverbs 24:16
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment