Saturday, June 8, 2019

Kindergarten Graduation


   Last year I was blessed to be a Kindergarten teacher.  I specifically remember Kindergarten Graduation. The students worked so hard to memorize songs, lines, and verses. They did a phenomenal job!
   I have experienced graduations when I was young as well as when I was old. I do not remember my personal preschool graduation, but I do remember many preschool graduations I helped out with. They are a little different from High School and College graduations. In High School and College students who graduate are looking forward to either College or the real world. Those graduations are a milestone and very serious.
   What is the difference between preschool/kindergarten graduation and High School/College graduation? For one thing, Preschool and Kindergarten students are younger. As stated before, High School and College graduates are going into the real world. But, at Kindergarten graduation I was reminded of another difference.
   In Matthew 18 the disciples went to Jesus and asked him “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Jesus called a child to him and said that unless we become like little children we will not enter the kingdom of heaven. It is difficult for the disciples to understand this lesson. In fact, it is difficult for anyone who has not had interaction with children to understand this.
   At Kindergarten Graduation I was reminded of this lesson. I watched my students put on their caps and gowns, look at their gifts, and talk with excitement about the ceremony. Their eyes lit up with every kind word, hug, and gift they received. Then the ceremony began. The kids sang their hearts out. They had such enthusiasm when they sang; and, if they messed up, they did not care. They just kept singing.
   Children have an innate curiosity about the world around them and faith in those around them. As we grow, we tend to lose our curiosity and faith. We also tend to lose our thankfulness for the things God has given us.
   So, whether you are younger or older, graduating or not I encourage you to remember to have faith like a child. Will you choose to be thankful for what you have been given? Will you be enthusiastic and curious about the world around you?
   Matthew 18:1-5, Jeremiah 29:11, Mark 10:13-16
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment