Saturday, September 24, 2022

Encouraging Others: Soccer Lessons 6


"A little Encouragement goes a long way."
   One time when I was playing soccer in college our team was really struggling. People were angry with one another because people were yelling at other people on the field. It got very bad and our captains called a meeting. One of the captains said, "how many of you don't like to be encouraged?" No one raised her hand. Then we discussed how we like to be encouraged specifically. Some people needed to be demanded to do things on the field. Others would rather be talked to one on one. However, no one said they wanted criticism all the time.
   Playing a sport isn't easy especially if you are losing or in an intense match. Many times people have yelled things at me that didn't make me want to play harder for them. I still did my best but at the end of the game it just made me feel bad even if we won. Other times I've had people encourage me on the field and I feel like I could play forever if I needed to. One compliment can make someone's day.
   In the world it is very difficult for some people to encourage others. All it takes is a few words to make or break someone's day. You choose if you are going to make or break someone's day. Many people are unhappy with their work because of what people have said or done. I have been the most comfortable at my job when I've had people who support and uplift me. These people go out of their way to ask me how my day is going. They try to encourage me.
   What would happen if, instead of being negative all the time, we tried at least once a day to encourage someone? What would the world be like? I'm not saying to sugarcoat things. I'm saying to look for little things you can do to make someone's day better.
   So, do you try to encourage others? What can you do to encourage someone today?
   1 Thessalonians 5:11
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment