Saturday, March 20, 2021

Giving Up Power


   When I was just beginning college I helped with my high school soccer team. I knew many of the girls there. There were a few girls there who used to have a hold on me. There was a lot of drama in high school soccer. A few of the girls on the team thought they were so good. They also used to talk about people behind their backs.
   When I went back to help with my high school team when I was in college, I realized how crazy it was that I let these girls have power over me. These girls couldn't control my actions or my thoughts. They could try but I am the only one who controls me. In trying to please these girls I let go of some of my power. In trying to prove these girls wrong I let go of some of my power.
   Eleanor Roosevelt once said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." I was feeling inferior to these girls because they were popular in high school. But, in the end, high school isn't life. In the end these girls wouldn't have power. They would have to work their way back up the food chain.
   When I was helping my high school team in college it opened my eyes. Rather than being self-confident I needed to be God-confident. Yes, I was different in high school, many people were. In college I realized that God made me and loves me no matter what. It didn't matter what these other girls thought about me. When I helped, they had no power over me. That's because I gave God the power, because he technically already has it whether we realize it or not.
   So, is there anyone who has a hold on you who shouldn't? Do you have self-confidence or God confidence? What can you do to gain more God confidence today?
   Proverbs 14:26 and 2 Timothy 1:7
   Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment