Sunday, August 21, 2022

Soccer Lessons Series


   In life you learn a lot of lessons. Those lessons come in different ways but they all help you grow if you let them. One way I learned many of my lessons in life was through sports. I particularly learned many lessons through the sport of soccer. Now, I am blessed to coach soccer and teach the lessons I learned to players as well.
   When I first started coaching I knew I learned lessons from soccer but I was still figuring out my coaching style. I was focused on teaching soccer skills. Some of you may be saying "isn't that what a soccer coach is to do? Aren't you supposed to teach your players how to play soccer? "The answer is yes, I am to teach my players how to play soccer. But, I would like you to think about how many players who play when they are young actually go on to play soccer in college or higher. There are not that many. What is the point of high school sports then? Some would say to have fun. Others would say for social skills. Both of those are true. As a coach I take it one step further. I believe sports teach valuable lessons.
   I knew that's what I believed but it wasn't until the head coach that I worked with said this that I truly put it together in my head: "high school soccer isn't necessarily about soccer. It's about the life lessons." The lessons players learn in high school sports go with them in life. I feel that those lessons are worth remembering. If you are still in High school, in college, or you've been out of school for a long time I feel that it is time for a reminder. That's why I am beginning a series on the lessons I've learned and that I teach to my players. Each lesson I teach in soccer applies to life. I ask you to come on this journey with me and maybe you'll learn, or relearn, some lessons along the way.
   2 Peter 3:18 and Hebrews 6:1
   Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment