Saturday, November 21, 2020

Are You Actively Involved?

   I've recently been told I am a "sporty girl." I don't entirely agree with that. I enjoy wearing athletic clothing and playing sports. However, I do not enjoy watching sports. Can I watch a game if it is on? Yes, but I'd rather play sports than watch them. And, if I'm being honest, I don't really enjoy working out or running. Do I work out? Yes, but it's a struggle if I'm not playing a game or a sport while working out.
   Now, you may be wondering, again, what this has to do with God or the Christian faith. I'm glad you asked again. Sometimes Christians have a tendency to just watch. They look at the world and see the sin, they see the hurting, they see what other Christians are doing for the kingdom, or they see things they could be doing themselves and they choose not to join in. You may have heard the quote "life's not a spectator sport." Well, the Christian life isn't a spectator life either.
   James 2:14 says: "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?" James is saying that if we have faith we should show it through our actions. He isn't saying that our works get us saved (which is how some interpret this verse). He is saying that if we believe in Christ we will emulate Christ in our everyday lives. When we see someone who is hurting and feel called to help him we will listen to the call. When we feel led to pray for someone we will do it.
   If we don't show our faith in our actions it does us, others, and the kingdom no good. Being Christian should change our thinking. Being Christian should make us want to help a hurting world. Being Christian should make us want to be more like Christ in our actions, words, and thoughts.
   So, are you actively involved in the Christian faith? How are you working each day to show Christ? 
   Image from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment