Sunday, February 14, 2021

Quoting Love

   It is finally here. The day that is either relished or reviled: Valentine's Day. If you have a significant other, you may or may not enjoy Valentine's Day. Whether you enjoy Valentine's Day or not it is a good holiday to remind us about something really important to God: love.

   Love is a word that tends to be overused in today's society. Even though it is sometimes overused, or even used incorrectly, sometimes something very profound comes from society using this word. With that in mind, I'd like to go through some quotes about love that remind us of the true meaning of love.

   Piglet: "how do you spell love?" Pooh: "you don't spell it, you feel it." I don't know if you know this but Winnie-the-Pooh is a very profound character. He has some of my most favorite quotes and I'd encourage you to check out some others. Back to my point though: this is one quote that I don't entirely agree with. Many people nowadays think that love is just a feeling. However, in Matthew 22:37-40 says: "Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Of course, we are called to love God, but we are also called to love our neighbors. Do you love everyone you come into contact with? Do you feel good, fuzzy, kind feelings about the person wrongs you? No? That's because love isn't a feeling. Love is a verb. Love is showing respect to someone even if it doesn't seem like they deserve it. I mean, just look at what Jesus did on the cross for us while we were sinning against him.

   Dug: "I was hiding under your porch because I love you." In this movie, Up, Carl is an older man who just wants to be alone. Even though he yells at Dug, who is a dog, Dug still stays loyal to Carl. He still loves Carl. Dug is like Jesus. He is always there for us; we just need to choose to let him in. It is just like in Revelation 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." Jesus doesn't force himself on us. He gives us free will to choose Him. He loves us enough to wait until we are willing to let His love in.

   Olaf: "Some people are worth melting for." Olaf is a snowman in the movie Frozen. You and I both I know what happens to a snowman when he gets in front of heat: he melts. Olaf chose to care for Anna, who was sick, when he knew he could melt. Olaf is willing to sacrifice himself to care for someone else. Jesus gave an even greater sacrifice than Olaf. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Jesus died to save all of us from our sin. He died because he loves us. He died so he could be with us in heaven. We are called to follow his example, take up our crosses, and die to ourselves each day. We are called to love others as well.

   So, on Valentine's Day, I encourage you to think about love today. Are you showing love to others no matter what? Have you let Jesus' love into your heart so you can be with him forever? What can you do to show Jesus' love to others today?

   Image from here.



x

No comments:

Post a Comment