Saturday, July 17, 2021

What's Your Motivation?

   In movies sometimes you will see someone who is acting like an actor. That person will sometimes ask the question, "what's my motivation?" In other words, "why is my character doing what he is doing?" The actor is trying to immerse himself into his character so that he can become that character.
   Sometimes I wonder if it would be good to ask other people that question. When people are younger, we enjoy asking them questions about what they plan to do with their lives. Then we ask them why they want to do that. Why do we stop asking people that question?
   I'll tell you who never stops asking questions: children. One day a child in my preschool class said, "Ms. Kat, why did you become a teacher? Is it so you could watch us eat lunch?" After I finished laughing, I had to actually think about that answer. It had been so long since someone had asked me that question. I had to think back and remember why I became a teacher in the first place.
   What about you? Why do you do what you do? Why do you get up in the morning? Why do you go to work? Why do you follow the religion you follow? Please pause a minute to answer these questions because sometimes I think we forget why we do what we do.
   I don't know what you do, and I don't know why you chose to do it. I don't even know why you continue to choose to do it each day. What I do know is that if you claim Jesus as your Lord and Savior then you and I should have some motivation in common. 
   1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." Did you catch that? That one verse tells us what our motivation should be. Whatever we do we should do it to reflect God's glory. That means if you are working on a big project at work you are working on that project for God. If you are making breakfast for your family, you are making that breakfast not just for your family but for God.
   WHATEVER you do you are doing it FOR GOD. That should kind of change how we think about our everyday tasks. It should also change our attitude toward tasks we don't enjoy as much. What would happen if we thought about everything we do as if we were doing it for God? What would this world be like? What would your life be like? I encourage you to take a look at your motivation in all you do. Why do you do what you do? Or, the better question may be, who are you doing everything for?
   Image from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment