Saturday, July 23, 2022

Needing Water

   Have you ever been dehydrated in your life? I have been a few times. One time, when I was younger, I was at an event in our town. It was incredibly warm out. I began sweating profusely. Thinking it was normal to be sweating when it was hot out, I didn't say anything. Then my vision began to turn blue and green. I bumped into my mother and said I did not feel well. She got me in the shade and sat me down. 
I was too young to know what was happening to my body. My dad said I was probably dehydrated, and he went to get me some water. When the water came, it was the best water I had ever tasted. I drank most of it and my vision became clearer. After a bit, my family and I went home. 
   When I was older, I thought back to that day. I needed water but I didn't realize it. Many of us need water but don't realize it. I'm not talking physical water. I am talking about the water of life.
   John 4 is the passage where we find Jesus talking with a Samaritan woman. The woman is first shocked that Jesus even talks with her. Then he says in verse 10, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water." She thinks he is talking about physical water. Jesus emphasizes that that isn't the case in verses 13-14
"Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
   The woman desperately wants this water, so she does not thirst again. She is like us when we are dehydrated. She would do anything to get that water. However, Jesus is talking about his water. He is talking about thirsting after him. If we have a relationship with Christ, then we are changed. We will not thirst after the things of this world because we know those things are temporary. Only Jesus can quench our thirst. 
   He gives us the only thing we really need. He gives us a relationship with him. Jesus died on the cross as a perfect sacrifice for us. We need to accept him, believe in him, and confess our sins to him. Then we will have living water with which quenches our thirst.
   So, is your thirst quenched? Do you have a relationship with Christ? If you do, what are you doing to grow in him each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment