Saturday, February 3, 2024

Waiting

    Dirt crunches under your feet. The breeze blows across your face as the ocean waves crash in time. Looking to your right, you shield your eyes from the sun as you look into your father's eyes. 

   He smiles at you gently then stops, "wait here, my child, I will be back."

   A slice of fear hits your heart. Where is he going? 

   Before you ask, your father says, "you made a request earlier. I am going to give you what you asked for, but you must wait here."

   You nod reluctantly. He puts his hand on your shoulder, half smiles, and for an instant you think you see pain in his eyes, but it disappears as soon as you blink.

   Father leaves. Where to? You do not know. You just know what you were asked to do. Looking around, you see just how beautiful nature is. Taking a deep breath, you take in the peace you have found here.

   "What are you doing?" A voice asks. Beside you is a man with friends surrounding him. "I am waiting for my father," you reply. He gives you a strange look, "why?" "He told me to wait for him here." The man laughs, "okay, well, do you want to come into the water with us while you are waiting?" That sounds love more fun than just waiting here but your father told you to stay. "I'm okay, I'll just wait for him, thanks." The group leaves and you take a deep breath as peace washes over you again. Waiting.

   "Are you lost?" A woman asks. "No, I am waiting for my father." The woman looks concerned. "Honey, there is no one else here. You are the first person I have seen here all day." You shake your head and begin to point to the direction the group who came earlier went; but when you look, you realize they are not there. "Do you want to come with me? I can help you find your dad and take care of you until we find him." The woman smiles. Did your father leave you? No, he wouldn't do that, would he? "I... I'm okay, I'll stay here." "Suit yourself," she shrugged and walks away. Waiting...

   Before you can let peace wash over you again, an older voice shouts, "a storm is coming! If I were you, I would leave!" No one is there when you look around for a person. Sure enough, when you look in the sky, you see dark clouds. There is a rumble in the distance and a flash of light strikes. Wind begins to blow sand into your eyes. WAITING....

   This is getting dangerous. Where is your father? He would never have left you here if he knew what you were going to go through. You should leave to seek shelter, but your father told you to wait. But if he knew there was a storm, he wouldn't want you to be in it, right? What if he came back and you were not here, would he know where to find you? Should you leave, or wait? WAITING?

   What you don't know, what you can't see, is your father is watching you during the storm. He wants to see if you will trust him and wait. It may not seem like he is there with you, but he never left. No thing that came to you or against you while you were waiting would be able to separate you from your father and his love. He is watching over you and protecting you. So, do you go your own way, or trust him and wait?

   Psalm 40:1, Romas 8:25, Exodus 14:14

https://youtu.be/JHDzIDp7l7A



No comments:

Post a Comment