Saturday, June 27, 2015

Leaving The Mountaintop

   “What do you think of Camp Yolijwa now you’re here, don’t you think you’d like to come another year, talk about it don’t be still, church of God up in the hills, Camp Yolijwa Doubling Gap PA.” That is a song I have sung every year for fourteen years now; because we sing it every year at Camp Yolijwa. Every year I went there I learned something new and got closer to God. Camp can be a great thing, but there were times I never wanted to leave the camp in the mountains.
   See camp is a place that prepares us to go into the world and spread the gospel. It also helps us in our Christian walk. That is why I never wanted to leave the mountain and face the real world; because the real world is not filled with Christians who are trying to build you up (or the awesome food you get at camp :). But, when I felt like I did not want to leave, I was forgetting one big thing. Camp prepares you for the world and calls you to live out the Great Commission.
   This got me thinking about Elijah. He thought that he was the only one left who still worshipped God. And, on top of that, he was also being hunted by the queen who wanted to kill him. Elijah went to the mountain top to be with God, but God told him that his work was not done yet. Elijah had to leave the mountain as well as everyone else who comes to camp for a week. I mean what good is it being one of the few who know about something that can save everyone in the world if you do not share it? I am not saying that God needs our help to share the gospel, but God does let us be a part of His story. Why wouldn’t we want to spread this news no matter the cost?
   There are lives out there that are lost and at times it can be difficult to leave our mountain. Whether that mountain be our comfort zone, our church, our home, or whatever it is. But, in the end, will you say to yourself “I’m so glad that I lived a comfortable life and now I can die and go to heaven?” Or, will you say “I’m so glad that I did all I could for others and lived a life helping God with His story?”
   1 Kings 19:1-18

No comments:

Post a Comment