Saturday, August 1, 2015

How Do You Define Yourself?

   What defines you? That’s the question that Lizzie Velasquez was asking during her speech. She was once called the “world’s ugliest woman.” She found out that people were calling her that in High School. Can you imagine that? Think back to when you were in high school. What would you have done?
   But, Lizzie does not let what people said about her define her. Lizzie thought about fighting back and yelling at those people who said mean things about her. But, she did not. Instead, she took all the mean comments that people said and turned them into positives. She set goals that she wanted to reach in life; and let those comments build her up rather than tear her down.
   She decided to define herself, rather than let other people define her. Most of what she says is great. However, there are certain things she forgets in her speech. Mostly the fact that even when we define ourselves problems arise. It doesn’t matter what others think about us. It matters what God thinks about us. We need to find our identity in God. Our identity is that we are children of God. If we do not believe that, all hope is lost. Also we cannot judge others by their outward appearance. God looks at the inside and so should we. We are to show love to everyone no matter how they act or what they look like.
   Another thing Lizzie talks about in the video is she says that you are in the driver seat. You choose your own destiny. And, I guess, if you are talking about that in a worldly way that is true. However, I have found that things only work right in my life if I let God sit in the driver’s seat. When I try to take control of things and do things my own way problems begin to arise in my life. I’m not saying that problems won’t arise when God’s in the driver’s seat. What I am saying is that if God is in the driver seat, and I trust that he knows what he is doing, I know I can handle any problem that comes my way.
   The video is very good. And, I find it amazing what this woman has gone through. The link to the blog where the video is at the bottom of the post.
   1 John 3:1-2 “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment