Saturday, August 22, 2015

Moses: A Life Changed

   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: change is a difficult season to be in. But, we are always in that season. I was reminded of this the other day when I watched The Prince of Egypt. It is an old Dreamworks movie about the story of Moses. The movie is one of the reasons why Moses is one of my favorite Bible stories. But back to the point, I was looking up the songs on YouTube the other day and I found one video that put two of the songs together: “All I Ever Wanted” and “Let My People Go.” That got me thinking about Moses’ story.
   “All I Ever Wanted” happens right after Moses finds out that he is a Hebrew. It shakes him up because everything he’s ever known to be true was a lie. So the song talks about what he wanted in life. He doesn’t expect much out of life other than to live comfortably in the palace. Because, his older brother will eventually be Pharaoh.  The problem with Moses’ view is that he was focusing on himself and what he wanted, not God's will. So then, we all know that, Moses runs away. Eventually, God speaks to him through a burning bush. God tells him to go back to Egypt and tell Pharaoh to let His people go. Which, leads to the next song in the video.
   “Let My People Go” is Moses’ message to Pharaoh. What I find interesting is in the song Moses says that he wishes that God had chosen another to be Pharaoh’s “foe.” In the movie, Pharaoh is actually Moses’ brother. It tears Moses up to know that he has to oppose his brother, but he does what God tells him to do.
   The interesting aspect of these songs is that it shows how Moses’ priorities changed. The first song, “All I Ever Wanted,” is all about what Moses wants. He doesn’t really care about anyone else, especially the Hebrews, until he learns that he is one of them. The second song, “Let My People Go,” is all about Moses following God’s lead even though it is difficult for him to do. Changing can be difficult but, as Moses’ life shows us, it is worth it in the end. Moses was a stronger leader because he followed God.
   So are you following your own selfish desires or are you following God? If you are following your own desires are you willing to change in order to be better?
   Link for the video:
   Romans 12:2, Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, Matthew 16:24. 

No comments:

Post a Comment