Saturday, June 25, 2016

Controlling Your Attitude

   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: “attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” So you may be wondering why I keep saying that. I keep saying it because nothing has changed. I still have a bad attitude; and sometimes I see people who have bad attitudes at times.
   As much as I try not to have one, it is difficult for me to not have a bad attitude. And, I’ve found it difficult for others too. Why is it so difficult to keep a good attitude? I have found that, for me at least, I typically have a bad attitude because of people or events in my life. Someone may cut me off while I’m driving, I may mess up on an answer I should’ve known, someone may break a promise to me, and so many other things. It’s in those times I typically begin to have a bad attitude, especially when a bunch of bad things happen at once.
   I have realized that when I let peoples’ actions and events control how I feel and act I am giving someone or something else control over myself. Now, if that person is God it isn’t so bad. But, if one person gossiping about me makes me cranky will my attitude change the situation? No, if anything it only makes the situation worse, or makes me more miserable. My bad attitude doesn’t change the situation. Me talking about it with others doesn’t change the situation. Me talking to the person who caused the situation in a calmly manner may help the situation.
   Why should we have a good attitude? We need to have a good attitude because God calls us to be joyful in everything. Sure we aren’t going to like some things that happen to us; but if you look back on your life right now I’m sure you can see God working even in the hard times. Also, by having a good attitude others will look at us and think “why are they so happy even when bad things are happening?” Sure, some people will probably think we are crazy but that’s okay because it shows we have crazy faith in our God. 
   What attitude should we have? We should have an attitude of thankfulness no matter what is going on. We should have an attitude of optimism. Because, in having that attitude, we are able to witness to others more. And we are able to say that we trust God and his plan no matter what the storms life brings.
   So what kind of attitude have you had lately? Are you letting others and events dictate your attitude? What steps can you take to have a better attitude?
   Phillippians 2:14-15, Colossians 3:23, Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment