Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Family of Family Bible Camp (at Camp YoliJwa)

   For the past 8 years I have been going to Camp YoliJwa. Last year I talked about how when I go up to camp I don’t want to leave the mountaintop; but I have to leave so I can impact others. I still feel that way; but that’s not what this post is about.
   This year’s theme is “Iron sharpens iron.” So of course I wanted to write a blog about friendship. But, it is interesting; sometimes what you plan on doing isn’t what you actually end up doing. That’s kind of what is interesting about writing. Many times my writing goes to different levels because I feel led to write about something else.
   This whole camp was about relationships. So of course there is the typical we talk about relationships with friends, non-believers, family, and God. All of that was really good; but at the end of the week it all boiled down to one relationship that everyone at family camp has. And that is the relationship that everyone at family camp is a family.
   The dynamic of family camp has changed over the years. Our first year we attended we felt included; but we did not really feel close with anyone. But, as the years went by, we got to know the core families there; and we started helping with the preparation for family camp. That was really when we started to feel like a family there. Now that we have been there for a few years we are able to get to know new families that come; and we are able to help them feel included.
   But that isn’t even the coolest part. The coolest part is that everyone at family camp, and all Christians, are in the family of God. So, when we go up to family camp we are not just a family of five; but everyone there is a family. Of course, like any family, we do have our arguments; but we are all working to help one another grow. And, that is one of my favorite things about family camp.
   I have one last thing I want to say about this relationship we have with other people at family camp. Not many of these relationships would be possible without two people. Tom and Ada have been directors at family camp for 8 years now. They have done an amazing job working with all the families over the years at family camp. Tom has been so supportive of everyone at family camp; and he acts crazy so we all feel like we can be ourselves. On a personal note he has followed my blog and he encourages me to speak up and be myself. Ada is, as Tom says, "the brains and beauty behind the operation." She is so amazing at organizing everything, is willing to do whatever is needed during camp, and is very kind to everyone. Everyone at camp loves them. But, as Ecclesiastes 3 says there is a time for everything. And, sadly for all the campers at family camp, Tom and Ada are moving on. I wish them well in their future plans and want to thank them for all they have done for camp over the years.
   So, my question/challenge for everyone this week is: how are your relationships? Are you helping those in the family of God grow? Are you being a good example for those who are not in the family of God yet?
   Proverbs 27:17, Hebrews 10:24-25, Ecclesiastes 3

No comments:

Post a Comment