Saturday, July 30, 2016

Maybe There is Hope for the Human Race

   “We may have different religions, different languages, different colored skin, but we all belong to one human race” (Kofi Annan, diplomat). Nowadays it seems like everywhere you turn there is something horrible going on in the world. For a while now, almost the last month, I haven’t gone a day without hearing about a terrorist attack or a mass killing. Some people may begin to think that there is no hope for the human race.
   Well, believe it or not, an event happened the other day that made me realize that maybe there is hope for the human race. See, the thing about the news is that it typically focuses on all the negatives going on in the world; but great things happen every day because people step up and do the right thing.
   My mom, sister, and I were at the Salvation Army Thrift Store in Lancaster. It was a 50% off day, and we didn’t know it, so there was a huge line; and it was really hot. I knew that my blood sugar was low; and that I needed food and water. I told mom and then we got in line. We waited in line for a while and it felt like it was getting warmer. My sister kept leaning on my mom because she was tired; but my mom was hot too so she told my sister to get off.
   Finally, we got to be the second people in line. I was not sure I would make it because I started seeing blue but I figured I would make it. My sister leaned on mom again and mom said “it is too hot for this” again. Suddenly, my sister leaned over to me and we started to go down. I thought she was joking so I was going to yell at her; but then I stated to lose my balance. Luckily I caught myself and my sister so we didn’t run into televisions and hangers. I went straight down to the ground along with my sister.
   The next thing I knew I had my mom yelling my sister’s name, a Spanish lady in front of us saying she might have had a seizure, the manager running over, and the lady behind us calling 911. All of this happened in a matter of seconds. My sister’s legs were bent funny and her eyes were up in her head. Then after a split second she opened her eyes. She looked around and my mom said “are you okay?” My sister answered yes and started to get up. The manager and Spanish lady said “are you sure you should get up?” Another employee came with a wheelchair and had my sister sit down. Meanwhile, the lady on the 911 call told the 911 operator my sister was up. Then the lady on the 911 call finished up the call.
   The manager wheeled my sister over to a fan and we all double checked that she was okay. The lady who did the 911 call stuck around and said that an ambulance was on the way. My sister kept saying she was okay; but we could not cancel the 911 call. So, I went to get us food and water. When I got back the ambulance people were just about to leave.
   I am so thankful that my sister is okay. But, this whole experience taught me that maybe there is hope for the human race. I mean, as soon as my sister started to go down at least 5 people gathered around to help. And, one person called 911 without being asked. Some people would have just stood there and done nothing. But, everyone there cared enough about someone they had never met and jumped into action. It didn’t matter that my sister was a white girl there were people of many colors, backgrounds, and cultures there; and they all wanted to help.
   The next time you think there is no good in this world maybe you need to try and focus on the positive. There is always hope in the world. Even if we cannot hope in other people and things, we always have hope in Christ.
   So, are you focusing too much on the negative things in this world? How can you try to be more positive? What would you have done if you were one of the people around my sister? Would you have helped?
   Romans 5:2-5, Philippians 2:4, Romans 8:28
   P.S. I want to say thank you to everyone who was at the Salvation Army Thrift Store that day. I especially want to thank the lady who called 911 and the staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment