Saturday, July 9, 2016

Overcoming Obstacles: A Story of an Overcomer

   Did you ever have a time when you felt you could not go on any longer? It may have been a situation where you had a lot of emotional pain. It may be that you have had way too many physical issues. Or, maybe you just feel like God is nowhere to be seen. Maybe you are in a time like this now. But, I’m sure we have all felt like this at one point or another.
   So, did you ever overcome the situation you were in? How did you do that?
   I don’t know about you, but typically there are a few key ways I overcome situations. First I take my eyes off the problem; and try to remember that everything happens for a reason. Next I pray to God asking for his will to be done. And, I constantly pray in order to keep my relationship with him. Then I may confide in a close friend. And, sometimes that friend may tell me about something similar they went through. All of those things help me take my eyes off the problem and fix my eyes on God. One final thing that really helps me is hearing stories of people who may have gone through worse things than I did and overcame them.
   I’m going to tell you the story of an overcomer I know. There is a girl at my church, named Lizzy, who is 15 years old. From the time she was born she seemed to have some brain problems. But, it was not too bad. Then she started to have seizures; and got headaches. The seizures and headaches got so bad that she had to skip some of the activities she loved to do. So, her parents decided that they would try to have a surgical procedure done to stop the seizures before they got worse. The surgery went well; but after the surgery she had a mini-stroke. She did not wake up for a few days; but when she did wake up she could not move her left side. Through physical therapy she has begun to move her left leg a little.
   But, the most amazing thing is that throughout this whole situation Lizzy has been nothing but positive. When she began to talk she started cracking jokes like she used to. Her positive energy has paved the way for her parents, family, and friends to stay positive. Also, Lizzy has not just impacted her family but other people as well. Part of her brain was removed and is now being sent to different research facilities. Her brain will now help others in the future who she doesn’t even know.
   Though Lizzy has gone through many trials she has stayed positive; and she has relied on God. She has asked so many questions and learned so much about God through this situation. Lizzy is still in the hospital. She is going through many different therapies in order to get her back to health. But, she has not given up hope. If this isn’t the story of an overcomer I don’t know what is.
   The next time you go through a situation that you feel like you cannot overcome remember that God is always with you. And, because you know that God is always with you, you can be sure that everything will work out. Maybe it will not work out the way you expected; but then you need to remember that God works in mysterious ways. He has a plan for your life that will be much better than any of your plans. You just need to trust him. And then, you can be an overcomer.
   So, are you going through a difficult situation now? Have you relied on God during that situation? Have you found people you can lean on during that problem? How has your attitude been?
   2 Timothy 4:7, 1 John 4:4, 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
   I would also like to ask all of my viewers to pray for Lizzy. She is still in the hospital, as I said before. She is improving; but she can still use prayers that she continues to fight the good fight, prayers for the family, and that they all continue to trust in God.


No comments:

Post a Comment